What did the alleged Brian Laundrie ‘suicide note’ say?
THE REMAINS of Brian Laundrie were found in October of 2021, after a lengthy search following the death of Gabby Petito.
After his death was declared a suicide, internet users began circulating a note – likely to be faked – claiming it was from Laundrie’s personal belongings.
What did the alleged Brian Laundrie ‘suicide note’ say?
Following the discovery of Brian Laundrie’s remains on Wednesday, October 20, 2021, internet users began sharing personal theories on how and when the former fugitive died.
An unverified ‘suicide note’ began circulating online, alleged by internet users to have been written by Laundrie himself.
There is no certifiable proof of where the note came from, or as to who actually wrote it – officials have not commented on the note.
In the alleged ‘suicide note’ the author wrote: “I just wanted to say that I’m sorry for everything that has happened.
“I never intended for any of this. Gabby and I were truly in love and I would give anything for her to still be here.”
The note continued: “I know that no one will understand that things simply got out of control.
“The strain of our relationship was more than I could bear. I should have known to stay home after what happened… everything was already a disaster at that point but something made me return.
“Once Gabby was gone forever I realized that I was too,” the note continued.
“Please forgive me for all that has happened and everything I have put everyone through.
“I was too ashamed to tell Gabby’s family what happened to her. I was too ashamed to tell anyone.”
The note concluded: “I hope someday people can understand what really happened. Until we meet again someday I love you forever… B.”
No evidence connecting the alleged note to Brian Laundrie has been reported by officials.
How did Brian Laundrie die?
Laundrie’s death was ruled a suicide.
The Gabby Petito case drew national attention in 2021 after Petito was reported missing.
In January of 2022, the FBI released a final update on their investigation which stated that it did “not identify any other individuals other than Brian Laundrie directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito.”
“The FBI’s primary focus throughout the investigation was to bring justice to Gabby and her family,” said FBI Denver Division Special Agent in Charge, Michael Schneider.
He continued: “The public’s role in helping us in this endeavor was invaluable as the investigation was covered in the media around the world.
“On behalf of the FBI, I want to express my deepest appreciation to the public for the thousands of tips that were provided during the investigation, and to our local, state and federal law enforcement partners for their work throughout the investigation.”
When was Brian Laundrie found?
The search for Laundrie ended on Wednesday, October 20, 2021.
Dental records proved the remains found in the Carlton Reserve belonged to those of Laundrie.
Along with skeletal remains, a backpack was found with a notebook inside.
Tom Joyce, a retired NYPD commander, shared his thoughts on the skeletal remains.
“If the remains are skeletal, that means the tissue has been pulled away from the bones,” he said.
“Most likely by alligators, crabs, fish and stuff like that.
“That’s what it sounds like to me because it’s definitely not long enough time for it to go naturally.
“If it’s only a three to four week period and there are only skeletal remains and very limited tissue remaining, I would have to say there’s a lot of activity that pulls all the skin and flesh and muscle and stuff away.”
When did Brian Laundrie go missing?
Brian Laundrie was officially reported missing by his parents on September 17, 2021.
However, it was later made available that the last time his parents saw him was actually September 13.
On the 15th of September, Laundrie was officially named a person of interest in the case of Gabby Petito, who was still missing at the time.
A few days later, on September 19, police revealed that they found a body in Grand Teton National Park that they believed belonged to Gabby Petito.
A full forensic identification later proved the body to be hers.
The search for Laundrie continued for over a month.
Brian Laundrie timeline
Brian Laundrie has not been seen since the morning of September 13. Here is a timeline of Laundrie’s latest whereabouts:
- July 2021: Brian Laundrie and his fiancé Gabby Petito leave for a grip across the country. The couple visit numerous national parks across the way.
- August 12: Police in Utah respond to an incident involving the couple. The bodycam footage is not released for another month but it shows a visibly upset Gabby talking to police after reports of a domestic violence incident outside a grocery store.
- August 24: Gabby is seen leaving a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah, with Laundrie.
- September 1: Laundrie returns to his home in North Port, Florida without Gabby.
- September 6: Laundrie joins his family on a camping trip about 75 miles from their home in North Port.
- September 11: Gabby’s family reports her missing.
- September 13: Laundrie leaves home to go hiking in Carlton Reserve, Florida. His family had initially said he departed on September 14, but revised their timeline weeks later.
- September 15: Laundrie is named a person of interest in the case of Gabby.
- September 16: Bodycam footage is released regarding the incident between Gabby and Laundrie.
- September 19: The FBI announces a body found at a Wyoming national park is believed to be that of Gabby’s.
- September 23: The FBI issued a warrant for Laundrie’s arrest claiming he “used unauthorized debit cards after Gabby Petito’s death.”
- September 26: A funeral is held for Gabby in New York.
- September 27: Dog the Bounty Hunter announces he will lend a hand and help search for Laundrie.
- September 28: Gabby’s family held an emotional press conference as the search for Laundrie continued.
- October 5: Laundrie’s sister, Cassie, appeared on Good Morning America and urged her brother to come forward.
- October 7: Laundrie’s father, Chris Laundrie, assisted law enforcement in the search to find his son.
- October 12: Gabby’s autopsy results were made public. Teton County Coroner Dr Brent Blue confirmed Gabby died by strangulation.
- October 20: Laundrie’s personal items were found near the Myakkahatchee Creek Park trail in Florida. The medical examiner was called to the scene to investigate.
- October 21: Reports stated the human remains found in the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park were bones.
- October 21: The FBI confirmed the remains found have been identified as Laundrie’s.
- January 21, 2022: The FBI released its final investigative statement on Gabby’s case. The statement said, “The investigation did not identify any other individuals other than Brian Laundrie directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito.”
If you or someone you know is affected by any of the issues raised in this story, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) or text Crisis Text Line at 741741.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?