Social wellness is one of the eight dimensions of wellness, which also consist of physical, intellectual, emotional, environmental, professional, financial, as well as spiritual. All these dimensions are very important for our overall health as well as welfare; but still social wellness offers diverse benefits, particularly to elders.
Social wellness refers precisely to the relations we have and how we interact with others. It consists of building supportive, healthy as well as fostering relationships and connecting with those around you. It’s vital for people of all ages to stay active on a social basis, as it is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. Maintaining good relations, particularly as you age, will have a substantial impact on all the other dimensions of wellness. As a matter of fact, an elderly who is involved in social interactions might even be able to live longer.
Health Benefits of being Social in the society
· Lessening the possibility of infecting diseases. Socially active elderly have a lesser risk for developing Alzheimer’s disease, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and even some kind of cancers.
· Lessening signs of depression. Isolation is one of the most important causes of depression in elderly; therefore those who maintain as well as continue to build new relationships are at a low risk of suffering with depression.
· Strengthening the immune system. The immune system is likely to be stronger in senior citizens who are active socially; many studies have shown that isolated seniors had high levels of proteins related to inflammation and poor immune system.
· Improving heart health. Lonely elders are likely to have higher BP, and several studies demonstrate that a lack of social links can result in a higher risk for heart disease.
· More life expectancy. In General, elderly who remain socially active are in good health and live longer than those who are lonely.
Today’s senior citizen homes make social wellness a top priority. The destitute elderly who come to live here are able to find various activities as well as events to keep them busy with others and their minds and bodies active. It’s important to be social to live a stress-free life, as we cannot deny the fact that when we listen to the sufferings of others or when we talk about our pain, we feel light, less stressed and more at peace.
Senior citizens’ homes are run through substantial contributions from individuals like you, as well as corporates. You can make donations and offer help for the elderly and make their life worthwhile.
You are also welcome to celebrate special occasions with the elders residing in these homes spreading happiness and love they so desire. This can be done by getting in touch with the care-taker of the old age home.
Source by Kanan James