This third and final set of seven events are called the Vial or Bowl Judgments. These world altering events occur during the second half of the Great Tribulation. One disturbing fact I encountered while reading about these judgments is the reaction of the unsaved towards God despite His awesome display of His Power. After witnessing the mind blowing events unleashed on the world in the first three and a half years of the Great Tribulation, the surviving unbelievers still seethe against God.
The vial/bowl judgments are similar to the trumpet judgments with three pivotal exceptions.
- The vial/bowl judgments are focused on the entirety of unbelieving mankind who take the mark of the beast.
- These judgments are unleashed with the purpose of total devastation.
- These judgments do not offer the opportunity for redemption. Anyone who takes the mark of the beast is lost forever.
- First Vial/Bowl JudgmentRevelation 16:2: And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshiped his image.
Painful sores or boils will break out upon the bodies of human beings that have accepted the mark of the beast.
- Second Vial/Bowl JudgmentRevelation 16:3: And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.
This judgment befalls the world’s oceans (the remaining two-thirds). I believe the oceans will be stripped of it’s life sustaining oxygen, causing all living things in it to die. Imagine every living creature dying and floating to the surface of the oceans, decaying and causing unbearable stench and with it, disease. This also will further cripple the world’s supply of water and perhaps eliminate what is left of the fishing industry.
- Third Vial/Bowl JudgmentRevelation 16:4: And the third angel poured out his vial upon the rivers and fountains of waters; and they became blood.
The remaining sources of water in the world will be corrupted, being changed into blood. Some will contend that it is not a literal changing of blood. However, it has happened before during the plagues that were unleashed on Egypt during the time of Moses. If it wasn’t a leap for Jesus to turn water into wine, the turning of water into blood should not be discounted.
- Fourth Vial/Bowl JudgmentRevelation 16: 8 – 9: And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire. And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.
A heat wave of unimaginable proportions will strike the earth, burning people as if they were “set on fire.” This is just a taste of hell for the planet as there is no water and an abundance of fire-like heat. This also echos Jesus’ description of hell in Luke 16: 23-24 where they will be without any water to satisfy their thirst.
- Fifth Vial/Bowl JudgmentRevelation 16: 10 – 11: And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain, And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.
Have you ever been anywhere in total darkness for a prolonged period of time? I have and it freaked me out. However not in the sense that I was scared but being in total darkness does something terrible to one’s senses. You cannot see anything at all. Couple that with unquenchable thirst and scorching heat. It isn’t a wonder that men gnawed their tongues! It is beginning to look like the description of hell itself; a total psychological and physical torment.
- Sixth Vial/Bowl JudgmentRevelation 16: 12: And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.
This passage describes the setup of the Battle of Armageddon.
- Seventh Vial/Bowl JudgmentRevelation 16: 17 – 21: And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done. And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great. And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell: and great Babylon came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath. And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found. And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great.
This is the worst of all of God’s Judgments. The greatest earthquake in the history of the world will occur after God proclaims “It is over!” Babylon, the world’s capital will be rendered in three and all the cities in the world will be leveled.
Mountains will be flattened and islands will disappear. Island nations such as the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and places such as Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Guam and Cuba will cease most likely cease to exist. The world’s landscape will be laid bare. There will be no hiding place for the remainder of the worshipers of the beast — no caves, no buildings… nothing.
Then the worst storm in the history of mankind will unfold. Hail weighing approximately 75 pounds (one talent) will fall from the sky. Here’s where terminal velocity comes into play. Terminal velocity is termed as the constant maximum velocity reached by a body falling through the atmosphere under the attraction of gravity. Without doing the algebra here, the terminal velocity of an object weighing 75 pounds falling through the atmosphere is 370 miles per hour!
Imagine if you can, the utter demolition caused when these objects reach the bare naked surface of the earth. Take into consideration the wind velocity needed to create and sustain hail of this magnitude. The wind velocity has been calculated at about 3, 170 miles an hour!
There is no doubt this will a storm like no other in history.