Action Against Hunger (Action Contre la Faim – ACF) began operations in Nigeria in 2010 in response to the high rate of chronic malnutrition in Northern Nigeria, focusing on integrated programming and looking at the Nutrition for children, pregnant and lactating mothers. In 2011, we expanded our work to begin implementing nutrition development projects in Jigawa and in Yobe. Following the crises in Northeast Nigeria, we further expanded our operations in Borno State in 2014 in response to the crisis to address the Nutrition, Health, Food security & livelihoods, WASH, and shelter needs of conflict-affected communities. We are operational in 11 Local Government Areas of Borno, 12 in Yobe and 3 in Jigawa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
The Job : WASH Officer
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Maiduguri, Borno, Nigeria
- ACF is looking for a WASH Technical Officer who will work under the leadership and guidance of the WASH Sector Manager, accountable for professional technical contribution to drilling and construction of the WASH project activities within the framework of the emergency response program in Borno state, Nigeria
- Fully participate in and/or facilitate technical assessments
- To visit sites and ensure quality assurance of construction being delivered and adherence to design specifications
- Coordinate technical workshops in the targeted health facilities with surrounding/close by communities (practical organisation and liaison with the key persons)
- Make sure that the technical activities are up to the ACF standards (WASH package)
- Assist in the selection, design and construction of water systems, using groundwater or surface water, including abstraction, storage, treatment and distribution for new systems or rehabilitation of existing systems
- Provide technical assistance to the Sector Manager to assess sanitation needs, and design and implement the most appropriate form of sanitation system, in consultation with male and female beneficiaries, which includes excreta disposal, refuse disposal, vector control and drainage
- Consider different maintenance mechanisms, ensuring that they are appropriate to the local context and cultural norms and that facilities are sustainable
- Prepare a Written Work Instruction for use on-site to bring clarity to contractor’s roles and responsibilities in each stage of the execution of construction activities
- Continually assess emergency needs, as requested, especially taking in the broader perspective of public health
- Ensure that work meets with SPHERE minimum standards
- Prepare training tools on relevant technical topics and conduct trainings for both internal staff and external stakeholders
- Assist in the development of technical guidelines and tools
- Responsible for managing WASH technical assistants and technicians
- Liaise closely with the WASH PHP team throughout the planning, design and implementation stages of the WASH technical activities. Hygiene promotion is a vital element in such infrastructure activities, especially in cholera responses
- Ensure that effective communication and networking is developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration
- Team with local Government and sectoral stakeholders/counterparts to exchange information on WASH technical implementation status
- Build a data base of technical support projects and share with relevant stakeholders
- Coordinating with other disciplinary teams or the on-site construction supervision personnel on technical matters.
- Submit technical report and consumption report to the WASH Deputy program manager (Upon request)
- Assist in the preparation of weekly, monthly and quarterly progress reports.
- Degree / HND in Water Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Civil Engineering, Building and other related fields with a minimum of 3 years field experience.
- Previous experience in supervising drilling and construction activities
- Professional, good organizational capacity, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive.
- Microsoft Office and designing software Skills (AutoCAD, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where network services are limited.
- Fluency in Hausa and English
- Commitment to ACF mission, values and policy
- Previous experience of work in the humanitarian sector
Minimum Basic Salary
260,244 NGN per month
Application Closing Date
11th March, 2021.
How To Apply
Action Against Hunger provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Job expires in 5 days.