Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspaper headlines in Nigeria for today Sunday, 31st January 2021.
A former military administrator of Lagos State, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, has revealed how former President Olusegun Obasanjo stopped the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, from becoming the running mate to President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015.
Speaking in an interview with The Punch, Oyinlola, a former Osun State governor, claimed that there was already an agreement between Buhari and Tinubu that they would be presidential and vice-presidential candidates respectively.
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) stated that the deal between the duo was initially hidden from most party members.
He said the agreement between Buhari and Tinubu led to some uneasiness in the party as they feared that a Muslim-Muslim ticket could cost the APC victory in the election, given the near-equal population of Christians and Muslims in the country and the sensitivity that surrounds religion issues in the country.
President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Lieutenant-Colonel Yusuf Muktar Dodo as his new Aide-de-Camp (ADC).
Naija News reports that Dodo, the Academy Adjutant of the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) succeeds Colonel Mohammed Lawal Abubakar.
The immediate past ADC, Abubakar, vacated the position to resume a promotion course, after which he would be promoted to the Brigadier-General rank.
Former Aviation Minister in Nigeria, Femi Fani-Kayode on Saturday said he was the first to speak out against a Muslim-Muslim ticket between President Muhammadu Buhari and Asiwaju Bola Tinubu in 2015.
He said the Muslim-Muslim ticket would have been a deep insult to Nigerians and that was why he spoke out against it.
Fani-Kayode spoke out in reaction to the submission by a former military administrator of Lagos State, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, who said former President Olusegun Obasanjo stopped the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, from becoming the running mate to President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015.
Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, has asked a U.S court to issue a gag order on his ex-girlfriend, Autumn Spikes, who recently took to social media to expose their secret affair.
Naija News recalls that Miss Spikes on Instagram shared a video of herself and Mr Dangote on a couch draped in an orange blanket fiddling with his mobile phone amidst clearly exposed buttocks.
She tagged @Iambealewis, another lady who had earlier cried out about her relationship with Mr Dangote.
Dubai Airports, operators of Dubai International Airport in the United Arab Emirates, has placed fresh travel restrictions on Nigerian passengers.
In a notice titled, ‘Dubai Travel Protocol Update –Travel From Nigeria’, the airport restricted Nigerian passengers from transiting through other airports.
Recall that the United Kingdom on Friday suspended direct flights between the UAE and the UK as part of measures to curb the spread of COVID-19.
According to the notice, Dubai Airports said amongst other things, passengers from Nigeria can no longer travel through other countries or airports to Dubai.
Residents and indigenes, including, the traditional ruler, community leaders and youth groups have imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew on Igangan communities.
It was gathered that the community imposed the curfew to curtail the likelihood of reprisal attacks over the eviction of herders penultimate Friday.
Convener, Igangan Development Advocates, Oladokun Oladiran, told The Nation that the community also demanded the setting up of an investigative committee to look into allegations of atrocities and crimes levelled against evicted Seriki Fulani of Oyo state, Abdulkadir Saliu.
Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has directed secondary schools in the state to begin academic activities on February 1, 2021.
Naija News reports that this was disclosed in a statement on Friday by Kaduna’s Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education, Mrs Phoebe Yayi.
The Kaduna governor however stated that only Senior Secondary School 3 (SS 3) and Junior Secondary School 1 (JSS 1), JSS 3 were to open.
Former Osun State Governor, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, has revealed why former President Olusegun Obasanjo backed the presidential ambition of President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015.
Speaking in an interview with The Punch, Oyinlola stated that Obasanjo, after much pressure, agreed to support Buhari because he was disappointed in the administration of Goodluck Jonathan.
The former Governor, a former military administrator of Lagos, stated that even when Obasanjo was convinced that Buhari would not deliver, he still threw his weight behind him.
Gunmen on Friday attacked the residence of the lawmaker representing Gwadabawa/Illela federal constituency, Abdullahi Balarabe Salame.
It was reported that the gunmen attacked his residence in the Bado area of Sokoto around 3 am.
The lawmaker while speaking on the development noted that he killed one of the assailants.
He said, “I was attacked in my house in Sokoto by armed robbers. But by Allah’s powers, I was able to shoot and kill one, and injured some”.
A father of one of the kidnapped Chibok girls, on Friday, disclosed that his daughter, identified as Halima has escaped from the kidnapper’s den.
The development was confirmed by the Chairman of the group of Parents of the Abducted Chibok girls, Ali Nkeki, while speaking with Channels TV.
Nkeki in his statement noted that Halima’s father told him about the development and he disclosed that he had spoken with his daughter on phone and she told him that she is with the military in Maiduguri.
That’s the top Nigerian newspaper headlines for today. Read more Nigerian news on Naija News. See you again tomorrow.
Source: Naija News