The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
The Job : Senior Project Assistant (MHPSS)
Job Status: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Location: Maiduguri, Borno, Nigeria
SVN No.: SVN2020.56
- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has been implementing Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) projects in North East Nigeria since 2014. The projects seek to address the psychosocial needs of the displaced populations and their host community, as affected by the on-going emergency.
- Under overall guidance of the Head of Sub-Office, and the direct supervision of the MHPSS/Protection Programme manage, the staff occupying the position of the National Programme Officer (MHPSS) will contribute to the implementation of the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support projects in North East Nigeria, as part of the emergency response. More particularly, he/she will be responsible for the following duties.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Ensure all work with beneficiaries is confidential and that ethical practices are observed.
- Facilitate documentation at the field level of beneficiary’s data accurately in the intake form
- Participate in the interpretation of the analysed data on trends and work with National Program Officer to disseminate information to all relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in the development of the case management monitoring tools and systems and ensure that all staffs that are required to utilize it are trained on the correct way of handling the systems.
- Participate in the preparation of accurate reports for all Psychosocial and protection related activities.
- Support technical monitoring of all the teams in the accessible areas, including report writing, supervision, training, and coordination sessions with each team
- Organize missions, forums, meetings, workshops, trainings, and other events within the framework of the project in coordination with the project manager, project coordinator, International Expert network, and other key partners.
- Facilitate regular visits, collecting and compiling reports from the psychosocial support and protection teams in NE.
Coordination and Networking:
- Liaise with relevant governmental, non-governmental (NGOs), international organizations as well as other relevant stakeholders on issues related to MHPSS and protection at the field level.
- Assist the MHPSS Sub-working group coordinator in facilitating communication among MHPSS partners and coordinate MHPSS mainstreaming approaches through other sectorial interventions to include, the protection sector and the child protection sub-sector.
- Maintain and strengthen existing networks through other service providers at the field level, to ensure that survivors receive quality services and support both at the agency levels.
- Actively participate in scheduled meetings such as supervision sessions and SGBV inter-agency meetings.
- Identify new networks to work with to ensure wholesome support to the beneficiaries.
- Work in close collaboration with the protection mainstreaming expert as well as GBV officer and National Coordinator officer to ensure ongoing needs of at-risk groups, women and girls are being met in the prevention related activities.
- Strengthen existing referral systems and networks of psychosocial / protection service providers.
- In collaboration with other partners, and team leaders design psychosocial interventions at the field level, ensuring that psychosocial needs of adults, youth and children are addressed properly.
- Assist in development of referral networks between partners implementing MHPSS, Protection and GBV and implementation of referral pathways.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Assist in preparing daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports, progress notes, and field teams wok plans on time
- Use appropriate data collection tools and submit assessments and reports in a timely and accurate manner
- Work closely with the project staff and related protection/MHPSS partners to ensure quality reporting
- Assist in the designing, planning, implementing, and facilitating of external trainings for numerous target groups
- Ensure MHPSS/Protections Principles are mainstreamed in the day to day project implementation
- Support with informal translation of technical documents from English into Hausa / Kanuri / Shuwa, and vice-versa, if needed.
- Organize data and information, prepare, and maintain records, document and control plans for the monitoring and evaluation of the project implementation
- Facilitate implementation and improvement of the Mental Health specialized services through continuous coordination with the implementing partner as well as monitoring and supervision of the regularly deployed neuropsychiatric nurses across the LGAs of Borno state.
- Coordinate Visibility and Communication activities related to the project.
- Undertake duty travel to very challenging areas when necessary.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field with at least 4 years of experience in humanitarian and / or development organization in designing, implementing, and overseeing supervision MHPSS / Protection field work related task OR
- Diploma in in the above field with six years of working experience in the mentioned field of work
- Additional experience 3-5 years in the field of psychosocial and mental health work in local and / or international organizations
- Extensive network with Practitioners and institutions in the field.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to understand and develop programmatic strategies on
- psychosocial / protection support for organizations.
- Fluency in English and multiple Native languages.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: work strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Application Closing Date
2nd October, 2020.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications via email to [email protected] indicating position applied on the subject line.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line: SVN2020.56. Maiduguri. Senior Project Assistant (MHPSS) G6
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of documents and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Job expires in 3 days.