Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Officer
Req ID: 7102
Location: Bauchi State
Internal Job Grade: D – national
Contract Type: 6 Month Fixed Term
Job Family: Security
Reporting to: Line Project Manager in Bauchi
Staff reporting to this post: None
- Oxfam seeks to hire a Security Officers for its Livelihoods and Nutritional Empowerment (LINE) Project in Bauchi.
- The Security Officer provides technical support to the Oxfam Line Project team in Bauchi State in the day-to-day management of security for staff working in the State through the monitoring of field trips, security assessment and security incident reporting.
- Key deliverables for this position include general administration of local guards assigned to the project office and warehouses (where applicable), documentation and reporting of all security incidents, liaison with local security agencies and security focal points of other INGOs in the State.
- The Officer will be exemplary in commitment to Oxfam core values, upholding principles and policies.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Ensure that State Project Management and Staff of Oxfam and Partners understand, and comply with Oxfam’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards.
- Undertake Security Risk Assessments for all project locations in Bauchi State.
- Carry out day-to-day monitoring and assessment of security situations across all project locations and provide multiple advisories to Staff on daily basis.
- Develop training programs and deliver the capacity building in safety and security training for staff from time to time.
- Provide security management advice, guidance and support to the State Project Office operations in implementing action plans based on Oxfam’s Safety & Security Manager assessments and recommendations.
- Work as the focal point for Oxfam and Partners in Bauchi State in a network of other I/NGOs working in Bauchi State.
- Ensure that the Security Management Plan (SMP) developed for Bauchi State by Oxfam’s National Security Coordinator is strictly adhered to by all Staff at all times.
- Assess and evaluate country security guidelines and make recommendations for improvements using the Standards in Oxfam Policy and Standards for security management plans, evacuation contingency plans, and standard operating procedures
- Enforce Oxfam Standard Operating Procedures for Bauchi State, and provide recommendations to State Livelihood Programme Coordinator and the National Security Coordinator for improvement where necessary.
- Promote the concept that safety and security plans and guidelines should be jointly developed by the whole team to create ownership and encourage compliance
- Promote the concept that safety and security is an integral element of program design and operations and should be amongst the first planning considerations
- Assist the National Oxfam Security Coordinator to manage the safety and security for day-to-day operations any and all emergency responses and project operations
- Undertake implementation and compliance with Oxfam’s Safety and Security Policy and Standards
- Ensure the physical site security of all office and project locations under the jurisdiction of the project state Office
- Oversee the contract management and daily management of guards contracted and deployed to Bauchi State Field Office.
- Track daily field missions and movements of all staff through effective communication management systems.
- Report and assist in managing safety and security incidents on a daily basis.
- Report on safety and security at weekly meetings, and provide updates and information, verbally and in writing as well as send in weekly security situation report to the Country office.
- Assist the Livelihoods Programme Coordinator in organizing the core Crisis Management Team and rehearsing and executing contingency plans.
- The post-holder will comply with all relevant Oxfam policies and procedures with respect to gender, safety and security, code of conduct, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
- Provide Security briefing to all Oxfam staff and visitors to the project state on a case by case basis.
- Perform periodic drills and exercises for Staff to facilitate security alertness and physical fitness such as fire drill, physical exercises, simulation exercises etc.
- Ensure that Project Vehicles are used and maintained in line with Oxfam’s Security Management Plan.
Education, Experience & Competence
- First degree or equivalent in Security Management, Business Administration or any other relevant discipline.
- Minimum of 4 years “hands-on” working experience in Security Management with an international NGO including 1 year at supervisory level.
- Proven experience of establishing and implementing security systems for an International Organization.
- Good understanding of working with donor requirements and prior experience of monitoring/managing budgets.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving and negotiation skills. The ability to remain calm whilst dealing with conflicting priorities/work under pressure is essential.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and report writing skills. English language proficiency and Hausa language fluency are essential.
- Strong analytical skills and experience using a computerized information management system (Ms. Word, Excel, Accounting/ Procurement software etc.)
- Critical focus on providing a superior service level to managers and colleagues and delivering agreed results within time and budget constraints and to expected standards.
- Ability to represent Oxfam in a professional and competent manner with external individuals and organizations.
- A high level of self-awareness, personal energy, stamina, and flexibility.
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and under my own initiative.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Knowledge or appreciation of Nigeria in terms of its political, economic and social trends plus a good understanding of the key development and humanitarian issues in the region.
Key Behavioral Competencies:
- Decisiveness: We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
- Influencing: We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
- Humility: We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.
- Relationship Building: We understand the importance of building a relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organization.
- Listening: We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear and consider different preferences.
- Mutual Accountability: We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
- Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity: We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with a lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
- Systems Thinking: We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well-unintended consequences of organizational decisions and actions.
- Strategic Thinking and Judgment: We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
- Vision Setting: We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organization and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organization and diverse external stakeholders.
- Self-Awareness: We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.
- Enabling: We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organization’s goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support.
Application Closing Date
18th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.
- Due to the urgency of this vacancy, applications will be reviewed as received and vacancy could be closed earlier than the date indicated
- Qualified females are strongly encouraged to apply