Recipe: Wildlight Kitchen and Bar’s Celeriac Agnolotti Dish – BC
Chef Warren Chow of Wildlight Kitchen + Bar shows how to make a delicious vegetarian celeriac agnolotti.
- 8oz Celeriac Agnolotti(240g)
- 14g Minced Shallots
- 56ml Champagne Vinegar Reduction
- 28g Cold Cubed Unsalted Butter
- 3g Salt
- 84g Seared Maitake Mushrooms
- 14g Brussel Leaves
- 15g Shaved Grana Padano
- 28g Brown Butter Gremolata
1. In a medium-sized pan, add 5g of butter and melt. Add in the minced shallots and cook
until translucent season with a pinch of salt.
2. Deglaze the pan with the champagne vinegar reduction on medium-low heat
slowly reduce to au sec.
3. Drop the frozen agnolotti into the pasta water and cook until floating (3min).
4. Once the shallot mixture has nearly completely evaporated, turn the heat off and let
cool slightly. Add in the cold cubed butter and whisk or swirl the pan constantly until all
of the butter has fully emulsified.
5. Reheat the maitake mushrooms in a pan with butter and stock, then season with salt.
6. Once the pasta has cooked, add the cooked pasta and coat with the beurre blanc.
Taste and season with salt accordingly.
7. Onto a rimmed plate, scatter the glazed agnolotti and spoon the sauce all over.
8. Place the reheated maitake in between the pasta.
9. Sprinkle with the brown butter gremolata and dressed brussel leaves.
10. Scatter the shaved grana organically.
Brown Butter Gremolata (Yield 750ml)
- 1 cup of unsalted butter (226g)
- 3 cups panko breadcrumb (180g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (24g)
- ½ cup italian parsley leaves, washed, dried, fine chopped (30g)
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (6g)
- 1 tsp kosher salt (6g)
1. In medium rondeaux, brown butter over medium heat
2. Add in breadcrumbs and toast for 3 min
3. Lower heat and add garlic, herbs and lemon zest
4. Continue cooking until fragrant and breadcrumbs are evenly toasted
5. Season with salt and cool
Celeriac Puree (Yield 500ml)
- 2 medium celeriac, peeled & large diced (540g)
- 2 clove garlic, sliced (10g)
- ½ yellow onion, peeled & diced (90g)
- ½ shallot, peeled & fine minced (18g)
- 240ml vegetable stock (240g)
- 250ml whipping cream (244g)
- 2Tbsp unsalted butter (28g)
- 2Tbsp blended oil (26g)
- ½ t kosher salt (3g)
1. In medium sized pot, heat butter and oil over medium heat
2. Sweat onions, garlic and shallots until translucent
B.C. woman killed in Mexico in “suspected femicide”
Canada’s banks brace for possible wave of loan defaults. Why that matters
3. Add celeriac and cook for 2-3 mins
4. Add chicken stock and whipping cream and reduce to medium/low heat to simmer with
5. Cook until celeriac is tender and falling apart, about 25-35 min
6. Strain out liquid, and blend all ingredients in a Vitamix on high until completely smooth
7. Adjust with salt and extra liquid if necessary
8. Cool and reserve for service
May want to blend in batches to not over work the blender and pass through a sieve if puree is not completely smooth.
Champagne Vinegar Reduction (Yields 500ml)
760g Champagne Vinegar
500g Minced Shallots
5g whole black peppercorns
10g Tarragon sprigs
1. Combine Shallots, peppercorns, Tarragon and vinegar into a sauce pan and
reduce by half, strain and cool.
Celeriac Agnolotti Filled (Yield 40 pieces)
1 Pasta ball
600g Celeriac Puree
15ml Cold Water
56g All Purpose Flour
1. Cut the pasta dough into 2 equal pieces and keep covered. Set up the pasta roller and
flour the work bench, using a rolling pin roll out the dough so that it is thin enough to
pass through the pasta roller.
2. Run through the pasta roller on each setting a minimum of 2 times, folding the rolled
dough over itself if need be to create a uniform pasta sheet. Run the pasta dough
through until the second last setting.
3. Lay the rolled pasta sheet onto the floured surface, with the celeriac puree in a piping
bag, pipe about a tablespoon of puree half an inch from the bottom of the pasta sheet
and one inch apart leaving and leaving one inch on the start and ends of the dough.
4. Beat the whole egg with a tablespoon of water.
5. Using a pastry brush, paint right above the piped celeriac puree. Take the bottom of
the pasta sheet and gently roll over the piped celeriac puree and gently press the ends
to seal. Fold over once again to hide the sealed edge.
6. Using the sides of your palms, gently push the air out from around the portions. Using
a fluted pastry roll cutter and a ruler, cut a half inch border at the top.
7. Next cut halfway in between each portion and the start and end to completely seal the
8. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and lightly dust the surface. Lay the portioned
pasta flat and freeze.
9. Once frozen, portion into 225g and place in deli cup containers.
Pasta Dough (Yield 5 dough balls)
- 1330g All purpose flour
- 5 Whole Eggs
- 33 Egg Yolks
- 75ml Milk
- 38ml Olive Oil
1. In a large electric mixer with the dough hook attached, add the flour and make a well in
2. Mix the whole eggs, egg yolks, milk and olive together and pour into the well of the
3. On low speed slowly incorporate the flour into the egg mixture, making sure to push
down the sides of the bowl periodically until all the flour has combined.
4. Turn the machine off and scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to ensure that all the
flour and eggs have combined to form one cohesive dough ball.
5. On medium speed knead the dough for 8 minutes.
6. On a floured surface, turn the dough out of the mixer and hand knead for another 2-3
minutes or until the dough ball is shiny and smooth. When pressed down the dough
should spring back into place.
7. Divide into 5 balls and wrap. Let rest for 30 minutes.