Hutu rebels accuse DRC, Rwanda over Italian ambassador’s death » Capital News

An Italian air force plane waited at Goma airport to repatriate the bodies of the ambassador and his bodyguard © AFP / Alexis HUGUET

Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, Feb 23 – Rwandan Hutu rebels on Tuesday denied accusations they were behind the killing of the Italian ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo and instead blamed the armies of the DRC and Rwanda, as grim details emerged about the attack.

Luca Attanasio, 43, died on Monday after a World Food Programme (WFP) convoy was ambushed in a dangerous part of eastern DRC.

The envoy’s Italian bodyguard, Vittorio Iacovacci, and Congolese driver Moustapha Milambo also died on the field trip.

An Italian military plane set off from eastern DRC on Tuesday afternoon to bring the bodies of Attanasio and Iacovacci home, their coffins wrapped in the Italian flag.

DRC President Felix Tshisekedi and his wife had earlier made a “condolence visit” to Attanasio’s widow and three children at the Italian ambassador’s residence.

The DRC’s interior ministry on Monday blamed the killings on “members of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR)” — a Rwandan Hutu rebel group that has plagued the region for more than a quarter of a century.

Map of DR Congo’s eastern Goma region where Italy’s ambassador was killed in an attack on a UN convoy © AFP / Patricio ARANA

But the FDLR rejected the allegation, blaming the Rwandan army and the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC) for the attack in a statement received by AFP Tuesday.

It said the ambassador’s convoy was attacked near the Rwandan border, “not far from a position of the FARDC”.

“The responsibility for this despicable killing is to be found in the ranks of these two armies and their sponsors who have forged an unnatural alliance to perpetuate the pillaging of eastern DRC,” it said.

The DRC and Rwanda authorities have not reported the presence of any regular Rwandan troops in the DRC.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Attanasio, a father of three, had been representing Italy in Kinshasa since 2017 © ITALIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY/AFP / Handout

But an expert at the Kivu Security Tracker (KST), a US monitor, told AFP the Hutu rebel group has a known presence in the region.

“The FDLR are near the place where the attack took place. It’s in the realm of possibility that the Rwandan rebels are responsible for this attack,” the expert said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Scores of militias roam the DRC’s four eastern provinces, many of them a legacy of wars in the 1990s that sucked in countries around central-southern Africa and claimed millions of lives.

Some of the FDLR’s founders were involved in the 1994 Rwandan genocide during which the Hutu majority slaughtered 800,000 people, mainly Tutsis but also Hutu moderates.

The group is opposed to the current Rwandan government, but has not launched any large-scale attacks in Rwanda since 2001.

– Dangerous region –

Monday’s attack occurred north of the North Kivu capital of Goma on National Highway 2 — a road that runs through thickly forested, mountainous terrain next to the porous border with Rwanda.

The world-renowned Virunga National Park, a UNESCO-listed wildlife reserve that is a haven for critically-endangered mountain gorillas, straddles the area.

Tshisekedi’s office said Attanasio had arrived in Goma on Friday morning aboard a MONUSCO plane.

Congolese and UN forces secured the scene of the attack © AFP / ALEXIS HUGUET

He left on Monday morning in a two-vehicle WFP convoy heading for Kiwanja, in the Rutshuru area, accompanied by his bodyguard and WFP workers, it said.

The convoy was ambushed three kilometres (1.8 miles) from their destination by six assailants, armed with five AK-47 assault rifles and a machete.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“They proceeded by firing warning shots before forcing the people in the vehicles to get out and follow them into the depths of the (Virunga) park, which they did by shooting dead one of the drivers to create panic,” the president’s office said.

Park rangers and army troops nearby heard the noise and pursued the attackers.

“Five hundred metres (from the site of the ambush), the kidnappers fired point blank at the bodyguard, who died on the spot, and at the ambassador, hitting him in the abdomen,” the presidency said.

– Security questions –

After the Italian government expressed shock and outrage at the attack, newspapers in Rome on Tuesday raised questions about security preparations for the trip.

Italian Foreign Minister Luigi di Maio is scheduled to speak to lawmakers about the attack on Wednesday morning.

The DRC interior ministry, in a statement on Monday, said the security services and provincial authorities had not been given advance warning of the trip.

“(They) were unable to provide special security for the convoy or come to its aid because of a lack of information about their presence in this part of the country, despite its reputation for instability,” it said.

But the WFP, in a statement, said the attack “occurred on a road that had previously been cleared for travel without security escorts”.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

A UN humanitarian official in the DRC, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that this meant the convoy had to be a minimum of two vehicles.

GetResponse Pro

Source link

ExactNewz newsletterCurrent news at your fingertips

You can subscribe to our newsletter below to get regular updates on current news across the globe.