Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head Driver
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2020/00006
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- The Head Driver will work within the Logistics department of Operational Support structure, committed to provide reliable and compliant support to program activities in order to achieve efficient service to program beneficiaries.
General Position Summary
- The Head Driver will provide safe, transport services for MC program and support staff in the described Area of Responsibility (AOR).
- The Head Driver will adhere to all traffic and MC safety rules and follow the transport guidelines required by the MC transport department. In addition to these duties the head driver manages the safety of all assigned vehicles and keeps proper records of vehicles related documentation.
Essential Job Functions
- General management of agency vehicles in co-operation with the Logistics Officer.
- Ensure that all vehicles are safe and road-worthy.
- Collecting and distributing of vehicle log-sheets to drivers; responsible for monthly compilation and submission of log-sheets.
- Schedule vehicle use to meet programmatic and operational needs.
- Ensure trip tickets are used by program staff and approved by necessary persons.
- Maintain vehicle board daily.
- Oversee and ensure proper use of the vehicles.
- Oversee fuel consumption purchase and tracking including coordination with gas station(s).
- Organize cleaning of vehicles.
- Organize regular service schedules for vehicles. Maintain service schedule files.
- Collect Vehicle Service Requests from drivers. Submit VSR-s to the Transport Manager for approval.
- Ensure major repairs are done in a timely manner.
- Collect and submit vehicle related receipts to the Transport Manager.
- Coordinate with communications department to ensure regular vehicle communications.
- Ensure security measures for vehicles such as parking, storage of keys, emergency supplies, etc.
- In coordination with Security, organize levies as needed for field trips.
- Ensure that security incident reports are completed and filed (if related to vehicles).
- Ensure that accident reports are completed and filed.
- Conduct himself / herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation.
- Supervise Drivers with support from Logistics Officer, ensuring all duties are performed as per their PD
- Vehicle allocation to staff including airport drop offs and pick-ups logistics.
- Participate in recruitment of Drivers
- Preparing monthly fuel consumption report for vehicles and generators.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Accountability Supervisory Responsibility:
- Drivers, also responsible for the safety of MC vehicles and personnel when riding in vehicles. Responsible for upholding vehicle regulations / rules. Will report problems of passengers to supervisor.
Reports Directly to: Logistics Officer
A full report on vehicle activities will include at a minimum,
- All collected Log-sheets
- All collected receipts of vehicle expenses
- Total number of serviceable vehicles.
- Total number and type of vehicles off the road, including reason and estimated time to repair.
- A balance of materials at the beginning of the period.
- Distributions for the period.
- Losses / anomalies for the period.
- Balance of materials at the end of the period.
- Distributions for the period should also match receipts on vehicle log-sheets for the same period. This data must also be available formatted by program and donor.
- Works Directly with: Drivers and Logistics officer. Co-ordinates with Mercy Corps program and operations staff in the office / guesthouse
If any company or recruiter demands money from you, please report to us immediately.