Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
The Job : Advocacy and Strategic Communication Manager
Job Status: 10months contract Job with possibility of extension,Graduate/Exp
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- Engagement of Civil Society and State Water Boards through existing platforms to strengthen strategic communications and stakeholder engagement in the USAID funded Effective Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Services Program’s (E-WASH) partner states
- The role will determine communication methods that will generate the political support required for reform and accountability; promote good practices; and effectively share knowledge and lessons learned
Dimensions of Role
- The purpose of this position is to ensure that existing advocacy and outreach strategies are implemented for E-WASH; technical assistance and training aimed at strengthening state teams and partners are provided; and advocacy and communication initiatives of the project at the national and state levels are effectively coordinated.
- In addition, the position aims to ensure that evidence-based data are generated for informed decision making; and knowledge and lessons learned are effectively managed and shared.
- The successful candidate will line manage five state Advocacy and Capacity Building Specialists, the CSO Capacity Building Specialist and the Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Specialist.
Key End Results and typical Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Social Development Program, the role is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Coordinate activities and communication among a diverse set of stakeholders focused on state government stakeholders, civil society and the media.
- Produce a wide range of high-quality written outputs for various audiences including high-quality, well targeted policy briefings, key messages, blogs and other outputs.
- Foster strong relationships and work closely with internal and external stakeholders in policy and advocacy work to keep abreast of key policy changes and relevant external issues, and to maximize their role as advocates for the change E-WASH aims to achieve.
- Participate actively in building the capacity of Civil Society Organizations and advocate for and conduct outreaches to urban consumers.
- Provide regular updates to supervisor and other project team members to inform project programming decision making and advocacy efforts.
- Ensure strong linkages with the Monitoring, Evaluations and Learning (MEL) unit so that advocacy and policy approaches are based in evidence.
- Facilitate peer exchange at the mid-level of utilities and water board between states and countries.
- Engage Plan International USA at regular agreed intervals.
- Contribute to quality programme delivery and innovation in line with Plan International Nigeria Country Strategic Plan
- Ensure timely submission of reports at project and organisational level.
- Other tasks/duties as required.
Administration and Finance:
- Ensure that all finance policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Analyse and provide programmatic inputs into financial reports.
- Ensure to use procedures and relevant protocols of Plan International Nigeria that are necessary in carrying out the project activities.
- Support the timely and appropriate use of all procurement and logistics infrastructure for the effective implementation of project activities.
Learning and Knowledge Management:
- Actively participate in learning opportunities within the organization under guidance and support from supervisor.
- Actively identify learning opportunities for supervisees and support them to build required capacities to improve job performance.
- Support resource mobilization efforts through proposal writing and related engagement.
Dealing with Problems:
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the relevant management staff for consideration.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Report to the Head of Social Development Programs at organizational level;
- Report to the EWASH Chief of Party at project level;
- Work amicably with other members of the Plan International Nigeria and US team
- Work amicably with the other members of the EWASH project team
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate in Social Studies, preferably Communication, Political Science, or Sociology, Water Management, post-graduate education (master’s or higher) in development studies, environmental studies, or primary health and at least 5 years of experience in policy and influencing, strategic communication, or civil society strengthening, or a related field and demonstrated experience in project management.
- Proven ability to lead the planning, coordination and execution of communications products, influence strategies and audience targeting.
- Demonstrated experience in using with success key advocacy strategies such as networking, negotiating, lobbying, movement building, or policy development, etc.
- Experience working with USAID funded projects is desirable
- Experience working with reporters or members of the media preferred.
- Experience managing civil society strengthening projects in developing country context.
- Experience in carrying out power, legislation and policy and political analysis to inform strategies and projects.
- Experience in developing and delivering advocacy strategies.
- Strong knowledge of child and women’s rights and gender justice.
- A history of productive involvement with local partners, including from government, traditional leadership, and civil society.
- Demonstrated expertise in designing, implementing, and monitoring inclusive, gender-equitable development projects
- Demonstrated knowledge and background in community mobilization and engagement
- Experience drafting project reporting and monitoring project progress
- Experience of managing people and ability to build, develop and motivate a high performing team, prioritizing effective cross organizational working as a key element of high performance.
- Experience of managing budgets and planning and reporting protocols.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Moderate financial and administrative skills
- Communicates clearly and effectively appropriate to the audience
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, collaboration experience, creativity and willingness to innovate
- Managing teams remotely using different tools
- Openness and transparent
- Team building and mentoring
- Travel to Programme activities to provide support where necessary
Application Closing Date
23rd February, 2021.
How To Apply
Job expires in 3 days.