If, you are like, many others, you are somewhat, uncomfortable, with the overall atmosphere, and present, tone of political discourse! While, it does little good, to harp – on, the past, unless/ until, we effectively learn, from the past, and become better, we will continue making these same mistakes/ errors, into the future! Will we learn, so our handling of future, challenges, and/ or, potential crises, better serve, and represent, the needs, goals, priorities, perceptions, etc, of the American public, the nation, and this planet, etc? We must make certain changes, and proceed, with specific goals, sooner, rather than later, if we wish to ensure, the best – interests, in the present, and for future generations. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 7 specific areas, which need, to be, addressed.
1. Public health/ Preparation for pandemics, health crises, etc: Public health policies, and approaches, must be guided, by the advice, of the public health experts, and, not the personal/ political beliefs, agenda, and/ or, self – interest of any public official. Being properly prepared, by efficiently, effectively, budgeting for a national stockpile, and maintaining it, especially, regarding, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE/ masks, gowns, gloves, etc), needles, etc, are important! When Donald Trump, assumed office, his predecessor, left him, a play – book/ guidelines/ suggestions, which he, seemed to ignore. This must become a key – part, of our public health, preparedness!
2. Climate Change: Although, President Trump, might deny the existence of Climate Change, it doesn’t make it so! Should we follow the suggestions of science, and the experts, or the beliefs, of someone, who calls himself, a stable genius? Every other nation, supports the Paris Accords, yet, Trump announced, we will withdraw from it! The number of climate irregularities, etc, in recent times, and the extreme nature, of these challenges, should be concerning, and, if, we do not, begin to take this more seriously, the planet may be, at – risk!
3. Environmental Protection: Shouldn’t protecting our environment, especially, clean air, and water, be top priorities? We have witnessed, what appears, to be, a concerted effort, by the present occupant of the White House, to eliminate, and/ or, minimize, many of the protections, we have seen, sought, for decades, including, permitting commercial dumping in waterways, halting automobile mileage standards, etc. What will the impact be, on the health, and well – being, of future generations?
4. Sane gun safety measures: Every time, there has been a shooting catastrophe, politicians offer, best wishes, but, we still, see little change in improving safety. Shouldn’t there be, some, sane, gun safety measures, which, can, both, preserve safe gun owners, rights, while reducing gun incidents, etc? Does anyone need an assault rifle, etc? While, guns don’t kill people, and people do, the reality is, it is, people, with guns, which are responsible, for many senseless killings!
5. Integrity/ ethics in government: While, lack of ethics and integrity, in politicians, is not, anything new, unfortunately, we have never witnessed it, to such a degree, as these past 4 years! Like any other law, regulations, rules, and laws, make little difference, unless they are strictly, consistently enforced. We need to ensure, future public officials, serve the best interests of the public, instead of their personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest!
6. Fairer tax system: The Republicans proudly, point, to their Tax Reform, passed, largely, along party lines, in 2017, as proof, they were great, for citizens. However, economists, state, the wealthiest individuals, and corporations, were the largest beneficiaries, and, others, received, far less (if, any) benefit! In addition, the wealth – gap, between the wealthiest, and the rest of us, is larger, than ever, and the major impact of that, so – called, reform, was a huge Federal deficit. Wouldn’t a fairer system, be better, for most, in the longer – term?
7. Reduce systemic racism: Especially, when it comes to judicial, and police enforcement, matters, we continue to see, far too much, systemic racism! Isn’t it about – time, to end this behavior, etc?
Wake up, America, and tell public officials, enough with the rhetoric, and it’s time for long – term, relevant, sustainable, strategically – planned, action, etc! Will you be part of the solution?
Source by Richard Brody