54gene was founded in 2019 by Dr. Abasi Ene-Obong to address the significant gap in the global genomics market; Nearly 90% of genetic material used in pharmaceutical research is Caucasian. Only 2% is African, despite the fact that Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
The Job : Human Resources Manager / Sr. Manager
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- The Human Resources (HR) Manager / Sr. Manager works under the direction of the Head of Human Resources to develop human resources policies, procedures and processes to support the effective and efficient personnel lifecycle management of the Nigeria office of the 54gene company
- In support of senior leadership, s/he coordinates routine employee performance reviews, job description development and updates, and develops professional development programs. In addition, the HR Manager/Sr.
- Manager coordinates employee recruitment, onboarding, and new employee orientation
- S/he has a primary responsibility for oversight of human resources legal compliance, management of employee data/HRIS system, research and management of employee benefits packages, and coordinates with the Finance team for payroll-related updates as needed.
Roles and Responsibilities
Human Resources Policy & Compliance:
- Ensure company’s human resources compliance; stay abreast of federal, state, local and global employee and payroll law changes; coordinate with executive management and relevant stakeholders to research, draft and implement internal policy changes as needed
- Ensure any employee complaints are addressed within the law and internal policy
- Work in conjunction with Head of Human Resources and key stakeholders for any severe human resources policy violations, or employee-related legal claims or actions
- Research and develop human resources policies and procedures, including Employee
- Complete required HR-related filings, audits and reports, for external regulatory entities
- Serve as a resource to employees and management to interpret general human resources policy, e.g. benefits, payroll and time off policies, complaint and discipline policies, etc.
General HR Management:
- Prepare HR (strategy and goals) reports for executive management, department and site directors, as requested
- Ensure HR procedures are carried out and comply with employment law and regulations
- Manage employee onboarding, orientation, routine performance reviews, as well as exit interviews (“off”-boarding), in conjunction with management and administrative staff
- Track company HR budget and ensure it stays on target
- Co-manage HRIS (employee/ payroll) database in conjunction with Finance and payroll staff
- Manage (electronic) personnel files, employee records and employee data
- Work with Head of Human Resources and senior management to create and update job descriptions
- Develop employee packets and templates, e.g. onboarding, performance reviews, exits
- Perform ongoing background checks, periodic employee paperwork audits, per policy and procedure requirements
- Identify employee conflicts and suggest potential solutions.
Employee Benefits Management & Payroll Support:
- Review and monitor staff benefits, including (paid) time off
- Coordinate new hire and annual employee benefits enrollment for Nigeria office
- Provide payroll/finance staff payroll-related updates in a timely manner, including employee hires or exits, salary, benefits or other withholding changes
- Process/track time off approvals in coordination with payroll staff
- Conduct salary research, annual review of existing employee compensation, assist department directors and executive management in payroll budgeting and projections.
Employee Recruitment & Retention:
- Create and implement recruitment strategies, in conjunction with executive and senior management
- Post job opportunities for Nigeria office, as approved by the Head of Human Resources; conduct direct recruiting and scouting, as directed by Head of Human Resources
- Manage application process; conduct initial screening of applications to short-list candidates; coordinate application review with hiring managers and department heads
- Conduct reference and/or background checks for short-listed candidates
- Conduct initial phone interviews; coordinate finalist phone/video/in-person interviews with hiring managers, senior and/or executive management
- Prepare offer letters and compensation packages in conjunction with management & Head of Human Resources
- Create and implement retention strategies, in conjunction with executive management.
- Research external professional development opportunities, conferences; contract with training organizations, as needed
- Develop internal professional development programs, conduct annual trainings, lunch and learns, etc.
- In conjunction with Head of Human Resources and management, create and track employee professional development plans, including role-specific continuing education requirements
- Schedule and coordinate company-wide employee (in-person and virtual) trainings, as well as site, department and role-specific training needs
- Work in conjunction with Office Manager to post and process employment applications, conduct and manage employee onboarding and orientation, manage employee paperwork, as well as coordinate staff trainings and ongoing professional development
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational savvy and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- High degree of proficiency with MS Office, including advanced email & calendar management, word processing, spreadsheet and database skills
- Proficiency in the use of standard office equipment
- Proficiency in use of voice and video conferencing software and equipment
- Ability to work independently to perform a wide range of duties under general guidance from supervisor; high level of integrity and dependability
- Knowledge of HR and payroll-related laws, legal requirements, mandated reports
- Strong research skills, and ability to interpret legal and policy requirements
- Strong proficiency in analyzing information, compiling data and preparing reports
- Cross-cultural competency; ability to work with a diverse, global team
- English fluency; proficiency in French is a plus.
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Human Resources or related field required
- SHRM or similar credentials/certification, strongly preferred
- 5+ years experience as a Human Resources Manager or similar role
- Experience managing an HRIS employee data management system required; prior experience setting up a new HRIS software system, strongly preferred
- Experience developing and conducting new hire orientation and/or other employee training required
- Experience researching and drafting HR policies and procedures, strongly preferred
- Experience creating employee forms, templates, packets, required
- 1-3 years of supervisory experience, is a plus
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, swiftly changing entrepreneurial environment; experience in rapidly growing companies, preferred
- Experience working in a company based in multiple locations, preferred; global experience a plus.
Application Closing Date
How To Apply
Job expires in 25 days.